Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hell Yes Sprints.

I had seen YouTube clips off this before, and instantly I wanted to do it. The opportunity came when the Hell Yes Sprints came to the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor. Entry was $5, and the Pabst was $1. So why not go?


The Pabst was good. The Racing was better. It was a blast. They ran a qualifying round, an elimination round, Semi Finials, and then Finials.

You get up on stage, the bright lights on you, and get on the bike. They strap in your feet. Spinning to warm up, the ask if all riders are ready. You shout over the noise "YES!" You lean over and grip the bars.


4.....3.....2.....1.....Go!


In two pedal strokes you have got the rear wheel almost to full speed, You legs are going at over 170 RPM. Everybody is screaming. Your legs are going so fast you don't feel the need to breath. You start to think "Are we done yet?" and then "Why aren't we done yet." The thought flashes through your mind "Are my legs slowing down?" "Why are you slowing down?" You plead to them "Go faster, why can't you go faster?" But your legs don't answer. At this point they are detached from your body, acting independent of the mind on memory that is their own.

The guy holding the fork stand down is yelling something. Everyone is screaming in tongues. My eyes flash to the competitor next to me. "Are his legs moving faster?" My legs, acting on their own, attempt to accelerate again, if you can call it that.

Some one is slapping me on the back. The man holding the fork is speaking English again. "Your done" "Your done". Good, I am done. The crowd is going nuts. I turn and look,

I won by .015 Seconds. I unstrap myself, and make my way back to my seat. I take a swig of Pabst, and watch the next elimination heat. It takes about 2 minutes.

And then then call me back up to race....

No comments: