Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Velodrome

Riding indoors is dull. I mean really dull. Some of us, unless you like riding in ice, snow, and sub zero temperatures, have no other option. So, I decided I needed a change of scenery. Last weekend we took a trip to the Forrest City Velodrome in London Ontario, for some more exciting indoor riding.

At 133 meters, the FCV is the worlds smallest indoor velodrome, and one of only three in North America. It was built inside a former ice arena.

Having never ridden on the track before, we took the Level 1 training class. Over 3 hours, they got us on the track, up the 50 degree bank turns, and passing each other in pace lines. Because of their excellent training skills, none of us slid out, or otherwise hurt ourselves.

Going through the corners, you pull Gs, a feeling very similar to riding a roller coaster. The strangest thing was pulling off the front of the pace line and going high, and watching the rest of the riders pass literally underneath you.

At the end, they allowed us to do a flying lap. We started with a 2 lap warm up, and then opened it up for one lap. I was more concerned with not falling than going fast.

The Track one lap record sits at 7 seconds. Mine was 11.9 . Oh well.

Will I go back? Sure. Am I hooked on track racing now? Definitely. I guess I am going to be heading to Bloomer this Summer.

No comments: